I have a project that I thought I’d share with you all. We do not have a large house, just 3 bedrooms with 3 kids. So 2 kids share a room. For the past 2 years my 2 youngest (a boy and a girl) have shared a room, but now it’s time for my now 4 year old daughter to officially move in with her older sister and leave the tiny man in the room by himself. So I need to get all the girlishness out!
This is kind of sad because I really did love the room we put together for them. It was challenging to think of how to do a room that a boy and girl could share with out it being just boring a neutral.
Here is the room now:
We chose 2 gender neutral colors for the walls: Green and Blue. We painted 2 adjoining walls green and then the other 2 blue. The green walls were the “boy” side and the 2 blue walls were the “girl” side.
We ordered sets of vinyl polka dot decals off of Ebay for under $20. They are removable and reusable, they are not supposed to damage the paint at all (we’ll see!). We placed “girl colors on the 2 blue walls and then placed “boy” colors on the green wall.
This post can also serve as ideas if you need to create a room for a boy and girl sharing a room!
Soooo…my plan is to redo this room for (hopefully!) around $100-$150. I will be using a lot of Pinterest ideas and keeping the furniture we already have. I’m hoping that I will not need to paint the walls….because I just don’t feel like painting! I hate painting walls!
Plan of Attack:
1. Remove all Pink Girly Polka Dots, and replace with all boy colored dots.
2. Paint the pink headboard ORANGE!
3. Do something with the Pink painted areas of the wall where “Gwendolyn” was. I’m still thinking about this…I may paint over the pink with green, keep the white frames and add pics of Dinos or Monsters??? If you have an idea throw it at me!
4. Turn the crib into a seating area, with some bright colored pillows. I’ll be making the pillows!
4. Make a tent! Just because it’s really cool! I’m thinking I will also make a bean bag chair to go inside. The bean bag chair will be empty and I’ll use it to store stuffed animals. The stuffed animals need to get out of my living room! This idea will hide them but we can just unzip the bean bag and take the toys out as needed.
5. Create toy storage! I REALLY want to start getting all of the toys out of my living room! This idea should be cheap and bright and cute!
Wish me luck! Today I am working on step 1 and maybe sanding for step 2….I’ll keep you guys updated on costs and projects that I do!
***This post may or may not contain affiliate links. Just sayin'***